Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This creamy mashed potatoes recipe yields the best mashed potatoes ever! The recipe is from the late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.
He adapted Joel Robuchon’s recipe by using heavy cream, making the potato mash perfect, extra creamy, buttery and rich.
Other Potatoes Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes
You need four simple ingredients to make this easy recipe:
- Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Kosher salt.
- Cold, unsalted butter.
- Heavy cream.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes?
- Use a food mill or potato ricer, if you have it. This is what Michelin-star chefs use.
- The best mashed potatoes in the whole world is all about texture: smooth, without any chunks or grains, buttery, creamy, silky, light and fluffy. If you don’t have a food mill or potato ricer, make sure you use a metal masher.
- This Anthony Bourdain’s recipe uses heavy cream instead of full milk.
- Boil and cook the potatoes thoroughly. DO NOT under cook, especially if the potatoes are big and the center is not 100% cooked. This will yield sticky, slimy and gummy potatoes as raw potatoes have a sticky substance.
- Use potatoes that are about the same size. If you have them in various sizes, cut them up into equal-sized pieces before boiling.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
What’s the best type of potato for mashing? What are the best potatoes to use?
The rule of thumb is to use high-starch potatoes such as russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for creamy and fluffy texture.
Do not use red or white potatoes as they are waxy in texture.
how Long to Boil Potatoes for Mash?
It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to boil potatoes in a dutch oven. Make sure you add enough water to cover the potatoes and cover the lid while boiling and cooking.
Best Uses for Leftover Mashed Potatoes
This is a common question asked by home cooks. What to do with leftovers? Here are a couple of ideas:
- Mashed Potato Balls – this is the easiest and most delicious recipe. Freeze the leftovers in the refrigerator and add cheddar cheese, bacon bits and breadcrumbs and you’ll have golden and fried mashed potato balls.
- Potato Rolls – make soft, fluffy and buttery potato rolls with leftover mashed potatoes. They are so delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Freeze the Leftover?
Yes, for leftover, just wrap it up with plastic wrap and freeze it. You can freeze it for a few days. Reheat in the microwave for 1 minute before eating.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 332 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with main dishes. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Creamy Mashed Potatoes is the best mashed potatoes recipe ever! Learn chef Anthony Bourdain's secrets for the fluffiest and creamiest homemade mashed potatoes.
- 4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
- kosher salt
- 6 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large dutch oven, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and let stand in a colander for 3 minutes.
Pass the potatoes through a ricer into the large saucepan.
Cook over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the potatoes are hot and steam starts to rise, about 2 minutes; they’ll start to stick to the bottom of the dutch oven. Add one-fourth of the butter cubes at a time, stirring constantly until incorporated. Stir in the heavy cream and season generously with salt. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: Food and Wine.
Serve the mashed potatoes with the following recipes: steak, pork or chicken for a complete meal plan.