Authentic Chicken Satay Recipe
Chicken satay is one of the most popular Asian appetizers and everyone loves them. Now, how to make chicken satay at home? It’s very easy and I have an authentic and the best chicken satay recipe for you.
Malaysian Chicken Satay is the Best!
There are many versions of recipes from Asia, but let me assure you that the best satay in the world comes from Malaysia, my home country. Ask any foodies who have been to the entire Southeast Asia region and they will agree with me!
While Thai chicken sate are tasty, they are inferior to the scrumptious and rich flavors of Malaysian chicken satay.
The Ingredients for Chicken Satay Marinade
The marinade is the most important part of the recipe. The best satays are marinated with lots of spices and ingredients, such as the following:
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Chili powder
- Salt and sugar
Traditionally, home cooks pound all the ingredients above with a mortar and pestle until it becomes a fine paste. Mix the meat (either beef, chicken or mutton) with the marinade overnight; this will ensure that every piece of the meat is bursting with robust flavors.
- You can use a combination of chicken breasts, chicken thighs and legs. Just remove the skin and cut each piece of the chicken meat into uniform pieces.
- For the best results, marinate the chicken overnight
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least two hours. This will prevent the bamboo skewers from burning.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Calories?
This recipe serves six people and the calories are 263 per serving.
Is it Healthy?
Yes, satay is very healthy as the spices used in the marinade have a lot of nutrients and health benefits, for example: turmeric.
Can You Bake in the Oven?
You can certainly bake satay in the oven, or pan-fried on a skillet. They will still taste delicious.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
Chicken satay is best served with Peanut sauce, sliced cucumber and onions. In Malaysia and Indonesia, rice cakes cut into cubes (“ketupat”) are common, too. If you are having a BBQ, I recommend the following recipes.
Click here for the satay sauce recipe.
This chicken satay recipe has been tried and tested by many readers. They are absolutely mouthwatering and delightful. Enjoy!
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thigh and leg meat
- bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
- 1 cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- oil, for basting
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 shallots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes. Set aside.
- Blend all the he Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water if needed.
- For the chicken satay dipping sauce, please click here: satay peanut sauce recipe.
- Combine the chicken and the Marinade together, stir to mix well. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours in the fridge, or best overnight. When ready, thread 3-4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Baste and brush with some oil while grilling. Serve hot with the fresh cucumber pieces and onions.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
If you prefer white meat, you can use 2 lbs. or 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 144mgSodium 727mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 31g